Clicking the link for each article will load the PDF in Hypothesis in your browser. Before you begin to annotate an article, be sure that have logged into Hypothesis and that you have selected the group “Spring 2022 – Dystopias.” Beneath each article link is the complete citation as per the 9th edition of the MLA Handbook.
If you need help using the Hypothesis system, please review this help page first.
- Iris Young’s “Five Faces of Oppression”
- Young, Iris. “Five Faces of Oppression.” Oppression, Privilege, and Resistance: Theoretical Perspectives on Racism, Sexism, and Heterosexism, edited by Lisa Maree Heldke and Peg O’Connor, McGraw-Hill, 2004, pp. 37-63.
- Sigmund Freud’s Civilization & Its Discontents, Chapters III-V
- Freud, Sigmund. Civilization and Its Discontents, Translated by James Strachey, Norton, 1961. Stephen Hicks, Ph.D., https://www.stephenhicks.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/FreudS-CIVILIZATION-AND-ITS-DISCONTENTS-text-final.pdf
- Umberto Eco’s “Ur-Fascism”
- Eco, Umberto. “Ur-Fascism.” New York Review of Books, 22 Jun. 1995, http://www.nybooks.com/articles/1856.
- Thomas Hobbes’s Leviathan, Chapter XIII
- Hobbes, Thomas. Of Man, Being the First Part of Leviathan, Vol. XXXIV, Part 5, The Harvard Classics, Collier & Son, 1909–14. Bartleby.com, https://www.bartleby.com/34/5.
- Frances Fukuyama’s “The End of History?”
- Fukuyama, Frances. “The End of History?” Globalization and the Challenges of a New Century, edited by Patrick O’Meara, Howard D. Mehlinger, Matthew Krain, and Roxana Ma Newman, Indiana UP, 2000, pp. 161-180. JSTOR, https://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt2005tk7.19. Accessed on 11 Feb. 2019.